The Reliance Foundation unveiled a 10-point aid package for the victims of the Odisha railway catastrophe on Monday, which killed 275 people and injured over 1,000 more. The foundation has also dispatched its disaster management staff to assist with relief efforts.
This comes after three trains — the Shalimar-Chennai Central Coromandel Express, the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, and a cargo train — were engaged in a pile-up on Friday, which is now being regarded as one of India’s worst train catastrophes.
The Coromandel Express collided with a halted freight train, and many of its coaches flipped, spilling some onto another train, the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, which was also travelling by at the same time on Friday. Investigators are looking into possible human mistakes, signal failure, and other factors.
The following are the ten points of the relief plan:
1. Complimentary fuel for ambulances responding to the catastrophe via the Jio-BP network.
2. Distribution of free ration supplies to impacted families through Reliance stores for the next six months, including flour, sugar, dal, rice, salt, and cooking oil.
3. Free medicines for injured people to help with their immediate recovery needs; medical treatment for individuals who need to be hospitalised as a result of the accident.
4. Counselling services are available for emotional and psychosocial support.
5. Providing one family member of the deceased with job possibilities through Jio and Reliance Retail as needed
6. The provision of assistive devices to people with disabilities, such as wheelchairs and artificial limbs.
7. Specialised skill training to assist people affected in finding new work opportunities.
8. Microfinance and training options for women who have lost their primary source of income.
9. Provide animals such as cows, buffaloes, goats, and chickens to rural people affected by the accident as a source of alternate income.
10. A year of free cellphone connectivity to a grieving family member to help them reestablish their livelihood.